Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Homemade Granola

As a social person who loves to cook, I'm usually the one in my small group of besties to host get-togethers. Whether I'm hosting pizza night after a break-up, brunch the morning after an engagement, or a birthday slumber party, there is always someone that brings a little hostess gift to the event. I've received bouquets of flowers and boxes of chocolate pretzels, but my favorite one yet has got to be from my dear friend Sam who brought me a jar of  homemade granola for a brunch I hosted.

The details are fuzzy from one too many mimosas, but I believe that jar was empty by dinner-time. Oops.

If you're not on the granola band-wagon yet (I wasn't either prior to my experience), you'll join the ride after trying this recipe. It’s seriously addicting. Not to worry though, if you find yourself becoming too obsessed with this heavenly snack, put aside a little for yourself then pack up the rest and give it out to neighbors like I did.

They’ll think you did them a favor, when really they’re doing YOU a favor. :)




 The recipe is from Joy the Baker and you can find it here. I've also pasted in her recipe here for ease too: 

4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup slivered raw almonds
1 cup whole raw almonds
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Place a rack in the upper third and middle of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F.  Line one large or two small baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

Whisk together oats, whole almonds, slivered almonds, sweetened coconut cinnamon and salt.  Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt together butter, oil, honey and brown sugar until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture begins to boil.  Carefully whisk together so it’s well incorporated.  Add the vanilla extract.  Pour the warm mixture over the oat and almond mixture and toss together with a wooden spoon, ensuring that all of the oat mixture gets moistened by the sugar and oil mixture.

Spread mixture onto prepared baking sheet(s) and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, removing the oats to stir and toss on the pan twice during baking.  Remove from the oven, let cool and store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.  Granola is delicious with milk, yogurt or over ice cream.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment