Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pizza Date Night at Home

I've had a yearning to make homemade pizza for a while now. So when I discovered a little leftover prosciutto in the fridge (which, paired with onion, is my favorite pizza topping), I knew it was time.

As good as the meal was, this is one of those recipes that takes a couple times to perfect. These are the lessons Nick and I learned in our first pizza making go-around:
  • Buy a pizza screen: The bottom of the crust could have been a little crispier and we hear a pizza screen will help to do that.
  • Use the freshest ingredients: The prosciutto I had was a packaged version that was probably packed with preservatives and was a tad too salty for our palates. We'll go buy cold cuts next time.
  • Don't over-do the flour when rolling out the dough: Nick went a little crazy with the flour which caused the dough to crack in places. After reading up that too much flour can cause the dough to become flavorless and dry, Nick was forced to go back to Publix to pick up another one.
I think that's about it! We sprinkled some goat cheese on top of the mozzarella which was a fantastic touch and probably my favorite part. This is a great dinner for a date night at home; active and fun, and totally customizable to every person!



1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, yummy! One of our favorites is calzones, too. Super easy and everyone is always jealous when we bring the leftovers to work!

    ReplyDelete