Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Recipe Post!

I'd like to say this recipe was totally worth the stitches, but I'd be lying. It's good. But maybe really bad bruise good or stubbed toe good. Not so sure about stitches good. If you're confused, catch up with this.

Anyways, now with my thumb out of its temporary cast, I was finally able to get around to making my beet, arugula, and goat cheese sandwich. I originally planned making this for dinner since it's a hearty sandwich, but enjoyed it just as much as a Saturday lunch instead.

I never used to like beets much, but about a year ago I finally came around to them. They pair deliciously with goat cheese and with a little bit of arugula and red onion, it becomes an easy yet gourmet sandwich. Since I try to cut back on breads as much as I can, I don't usually treat myself to sandwiches. But this combination definitely is worth it. Check out the recipe here at Epicurious, or below.




Ingredients
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons olive oil
14- to 15-ounce can sliced beets, drained
8 (1/2-inch-thick) bread slices from a round country loaf
6 ounces soft mild goat cheese, softened
4 very thin slices red onion, rings separated
16 large arugula leaves

Preparation
Preheat broiler.

Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste, then whisk in 2 tablespoons oil. Toss beets with vinaigrette.

Arrange bread on a large baking sheet and brush tops with remaining tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper and broil 6 inches from heat 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until edges are golden. Remove 4 slices from oven. Turn remaining 4 slices over on baking sheet and spread thickly with goat cheese. Broil 1 minute more and transfer to plates. Top goat cheese with drained beets, onion, arugula, and remaining bread, toasted sides up

1 comment: