Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fall Brittle


Aren't these little kiddos just gorgeous!? It inspires me to compile an outfit full of warm camels, dark maroons and browns, with a splash of green to brighten things up.

I spotted this brittle on Pinterest several weeks ago and was so smitten with its beauty that I knew it would be making an appearance in my kitchen at some point during the fall. It was pretty easy to throw together but, I'll admit, the very end is a little intense. You have to boil sugar and water until just before the cracking point and then, as quickly as you can, mix everything up and pour into a thin layer. Nick was big help. Thanks babe.

The verdict? I hate to say this because I wanted this to be as great to my mouth as it to my eyes, but I don't think I like brittle... BUT! If YOU like brittle, then these would be the perfect goodie bag stuffing for your fall soiree or the prettiest after-dinner munchie for Thanksgiving. Just picture it!

Fall Brittle
via Adventures in Cooking

Ingredients:
1 Cup Almonds
1 Cup Cashews
3/4 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
2/3 Cup Dried Cranberries
2 Cups Granulated Sugar 
 1/2  Cup Golden Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Honey
1 Cup Water
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Butter

Instructions:
1. Heat sugars, water, honey, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir every 5 minutes until the mixture reaches 305 degrees. Note: I took it off the heat at 290 because I was terrified of over-cooking it and having it crack on me. To get it to 305 degrees, it took just over an hour.
2. While the mixture is heating, cover a large baking sheet with greased parchment paper.
3. Once mixture reaches 290-305 degrees, quickly mix in butter, cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and cranberries. Pour onto baking sheet and spread into thin layer.
4. Stick in fridge and let cool and harden for at least an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment