Friday, April 15, 2011

The short of it, Recipes: (Not So) Smoky Greens and Beans

On Thursday night, Nick was busy attending a wild rock concert in Ft Lauderdale, so I took the opportunity to do something pretty crazy myself - something Nick NEVER lets me do. COOK A VEGETARIAN MEAL. That’s right. Livin’ on the edge, people.

My recipe of choice was Smoky Greens and Beans from Epicurious. It calls for smoked paprika, but I absolutely hate buying a $4 jar of spices for one recipe, so I used the regular old paprika in my cupboard. Overall, it was satisfying and extremely easy to make. With its soupy consistency and warm tomatoes, it’s definitely more of a “comfort-food-on-a-cold-day” kind of meal. The only substantial change I made to the recipe was draining out a lot of the liquid at the end since I was really looking for more of a bean salad dish.



Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 141/2-ounce can vegetable broth
8 cups coarsely chopped assorted greens (such as kale, mustard greens, and collard greens; about 8 ounces)
1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), drained
Grated Manchego or Parmesan cheese (optional)

Preparation
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté until soft and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice and paprika; stir 1 minute. Add broth and greens; bring to boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until greens are wilted and tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Stir in beans and simmer 1 minute to heat through. Divide among bowls; sprinkle with cheese, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment